The Lumber City Womans Club was originally organized in 1938. The meetings were held in member's homes until the CCC Boys built (a federal program of President Roosevelt and intended to stimulate the economy and provide infrastructure to local communities) the log building known as the Community House in 1940. In 1942, the Womans Club assumed the debt owned by the City of Lumber City on the building and the building was deeded to the Womans Club.
The Clubhouse was a beautiful construction of locally donated logs. The huge fireplace was constructed of native rock and was a conversation piece and the only means of heating the building The chimney, built of native stone, by Mr. Cohen Joyce and still exists today. Around 1990, to preserve the logs which had started to deterioate, it was covered with cedar siding. The original tongue and groove pine floor and beautiful pecky-wood cypress interior walls with cypress trim, donated by Rush Lumber Co. (a local mill), still exists today.
An early roster of names listed Mrs. Pearl Alligood, Mrs. O.H. Burnette, Mrs. W.H. Clements, Mrs. A.B. Cochran, Mrs. Matt Cook, MRs. Kattie Gillian, Mrs. F.B. Harbin, Mrs. Joe Hefner, Mrs. R.B. Lilliott, Mrs. Henry Lowery, Mrs. D.S. McLean, Miss Edith McGregor, Mrs. D.W. Phillips, Mrs. W.S. Ricks, Mrs. J.W. Ryals, Mrs. Prescott Thompson, Mrs. R.O. Thompson, MRs. J.D. Vaughn, Mrs. J.C. Wilcox, Mrs. J.H. Wilcox, Mrs. D.R. Wilcox, Mrs. T.D. Wooten, Mrs. Jewel Mims.
In 1978 a group of younger women organized the "Young Womans Club" and met for a very few years, before merging with the original Womans Club. In the early 1990s, the present group came on the scene with more ideas and energy.
Throughout the years, the Womans Club has made contributions to the town and surrounding area.
Current projects include: Honoring nursing home residents on Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Christmas with individual gifts; Contributing a larger gift to a nursing home for all the residents to enjoy such as rocking chairs, apartment ranges, patio tables and chairs, large screen TVs; Christmas decorations for the City; Flowers in planters downtown and a rose bed and shrubbery; Gospel Sings; Assisting the local American Legion in their fund raising efforts; Provide and display American Flags for patriotic occasions; Ferst Foundation Book Program; Scholarships at local technical college; Placing flags at the Riverside Cemetery in memory of Veterans; and is also a member of the Telfair County Chamber of Commerce.
The Lumber City Womans Club is a unique and special organization.
As stated by Mayor Sue Sammons (and Womans Club member)," We are most blessed by our service to others. This is the only group that I know that continues to work so closely without jealousy, anger or bitterness. Our collect includes the phrase, 'without envy, self-pity, or self-seeking' and it is true. Womans Club is a sisterhood with a heart of service".